HairLossGeeks is independent and reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn More. Consult with your doctor before making any changes to your daily routines or diet.
Onions. Yes, those onions that you have in your kitchen might have more benefits than just flavoring your favorite dishes. Although this might come as a shock, onion juice has been known as a home remedy for hair loss!
This home remedy many people might not have heard about, but if you’re one of the 80 million men and women in the United States suffering from hair loss, this might be just what you’re looking for. This onion juice treatment has been used for decades, so read on to see if it’s the right fit for your hair care routine.
Quick Facts About Onion Juice and Hair Loss
- Onions are high in dietary sulfur. Found in amino acids, sulfur is a component of protein, which is needed for strong, growing hair.
- Onion juice can provide support. When you add onion juice to the scalp, it can provide additional support for strong, thick hair, prevent hair loss, and promote new hair growth.
- Sulfur also promotes collagen. The sulfur that is found within onions can help collagen production, which is needed for healthy hair growth and skin cells.
- Boosts circulation. Onion juice is also believed to improve circulation on the scalp. This increases the blood supply to your hair follicles, which will help you see an improvement in hair growth.
- Options to avoid the smell. It’s a well-known fact that onions are potent in their smell. If the odor is too much for you, add a bit of rosewater or even a little lemon juice to help the fragrance.
But Does It Work?
Although the use of onion juice to help hair regrowth hasn’t been extensively researched, it has been utilized in small studies.
According to a study that was published by the Journal of Dermatology, a select number of participants found that onion juice helped their hair regrowth. After the first four weeks of applying onion juice on the scalp twice daily, approximately 74% of the study participants noticed hair regrowth. After six weeks they saw 87% with hair regrowth. It is important to note that both men and women participated in the study, however, the regrowth was higher in the male participants.
While this might seem like great odds, it is important to point out that the study was quite small and only had 38 participants.
Trying Onion Juice for Hair Growth
If you are ready to add onion juice to your hair care routine, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- It will take multiple weeks of applying onion juice daily before you can see results. They will not be instant or overnight.
- Men tend to have better results than women, but regrowth is still possible for females.
- The onion juice will nourish your hair follicles, so you will see an improvement in the shine, volume, and strength of your hair.
- Experiment with different scents to help cut down the odor of the onion
How to Apply Onion Juice
If you are ready to improve the quality of your hair’s health, or are looking for regrowth, follow these steps:
- Peel a few onions (4 medium) and cut them into small pieces.
- Extract the juice of the onion by using a juicer or squeezing it.
- If you do not have a juicer, you can put the onions into a blender, then squeeze it out through a cheesecloth.
- Once you have the onion juice, apply it to the roots of your hair.
If you do not want to make your own, there are commercially prepared onion juices that you can find online.
Please note that while most will not experience side effects, onions can cause reactions to those who are allergic. Those who aren’t may still find that onions are irritating to the skin and cause redness or itching. Before you apply onion juice to your entire scalp, patch test a small area for a day or two before applying to your entire scalp. Also, be sure to avoid your eyes!
The only way to find out if onion juice is worth it for your personal needs is to give it a try. But as mentioned earlier, it will take a time commitment by applying it every day for several weeks. It is a safe, homeopathic treatment for hair loss for those who are not allergic and is fairly easy to try. It is definitely worth the try if you are looking for a natural remedy to promote hair growth.
Tired of chasing down hair growth solutions without the results you’re after? Make sure you’re using the 3 hair loss products known to work before experimenting with alternative solutions – you may be surprised with how effective those 3 alone can be.