There are very few things worse than losing your hair. It can be incredibly frustrating and even unavoidable for some individuals. Though, there are solutions to combat these frustrations.
As you might already know, a primary reason for hair loss is genetics. Hair loss affects both men and women. It can significantly hamper an individual’s psychological state.
Luckily, many products may offer solutions to your dismay.
What should I know about hair-loss shampoos?
- You do not have to recreate the wheel. If something works for you, then stick with it. More importantly, research the ingredients of the shampoos you’re currently using. Also look at the ones that claim to stop hair loss and grow new hair. You may be surprised at your findings! Not all claims are backed with scientific data.
- Ketoconazole. If you remember anything from this post, remember that this ingredient is necessary for healthy hair. You will find this in any reputable hair-loss shampoo. Simply put, Ketoconazole is a knockout in any hair-fighting match.
- Be consistent. When searching shampoo, stick with it for a minimum of at least 6 months. If you use a conditioner (which is recommended), keep this consistent for the duration of this time. Remember, Rome was not built in a day.
Which ingredients should I look for in hair-loss shampoos?
Research is still in its early stages for hair-loss shampoos and their effects. But, these four ingredients continually hit it out of the park for healthy hair development:
- Ketoconazole. Are you surprised to see this again? Studies show the most effective use of this antifungal medication was through application of 2% ketoconazole shampoo. Use it two to four days a week. Leave the shampoo on for at least three to five minutes after each application. If this ingredient is listed in your shampoo, you have a strong contender.
- Caffeine. “No, Peter, do not pour your coffee cup on your head!” In all actuality, caffeine enhances the length of hair shafts. It also stimulates growth of keratinocyte, the largest cell found in a body’s epidermis (outer layer of skin). This ingredient shouldn’t be confused with one’s caffeine consumption. That can actually hamper hair cell development.
- Biotin. Outside of caffeine, this is a term you are likely familiar with. Biotin is crucial to skin cell development, which in turn affects hair follicles. Think… if your hair follicles are weak or unhealthy, hair loss occurs. One area outside of shampoos to increase Biotin absorption is in your diet. Consider eating more eggs, peanuts, liver, cauliflower, and bananas.
- Saw Palmetto. In one study, almost half of the men treated with this had a near 12 percent increase in their total hair count. This ingredient has been used for hundreds of years. It witholds the unique ability to block the development of DHT, which is linked to male hair loss.
Our Top Eight Hair Loss Shampoo Picks
With the vast number of hair loss shampoos on the market, this list is by no means all-inclusive. We’ve included our top 8 hair loss shampoos. We base this on a variety of factors, from price to ease of use and ingredient list. The shampoos are listed in order based on ingredients, price, transparency, and effectiveness.
Revita High Performance Hair-Stimulating Shampoo
Revita High-Performance Hair Stimulating Shampoo
- Supports both healthy and compromised hair follicles
- Fights Follicular Dysfunction from First Application
- Improves hair density, thickness, and appearance
- Promotes scalp stimulation
- Cuts down on stress-induced loss
With Revita, the results speak for themselves. They did a study containing 500 men and women. They were between the ages of 18 and 55. 90% of participants using Revita’s product experienced a decrease in hair loss. 85% had an improvement in the “overall appearance” of their hair.
At a more reasonable price, some ingredients in Revita are caffeine, biotin, ketoconazole, emu oil, and vitamin B2. There’s also essential amino acids for hair follicle development. As far as downsides, the primary one was some users found their hair drier after consistent use. But other than this, it’s a formidable giant in the field of hair loss shampoo with a proven track record.
Ultrax Labs Hair Surge – Caffeine Hair Loss Growth Stimulating Shampoo
- TOP RATED 2020 SHAMPOO FOR HAIR REGROWTH STIMULATION
- Contains highly effective CaffinoPlex blend designed and researched to aid in healthy hair growth
- Contains powerful caffeine compounds which have been shown to reduce hair loss, stimulate hair...
Rated the best “Shampoo for Hair Regrowth Stimulation” in 2016, Ultrax contains caffeine, ketoconazole, and saw palmetto. These three essential ingredients were mentioned above. It comes at a higher price, but thousands of testimonials and reviews online back this legitimate product. And if you’re still unconvinced, Hair Surge offers a 90-day money-back guarantee.
Lipogaine Big 5 All-Natural Shampoo
- Trusted Brand: Hundreds of thousands people around the world have been in love with Lipogaine...
- Premium natural ingredients based hair stimulating shampoo, strengthen & nourish hair and help...
- Powerful proprietary blend of Biotin, Caffeine, Argan Oil, Castor oil and Saw Palmetto for the best...
Perhaps a dark horse, the five ingredients in Lipogaine’s latest addition (compared to its Big 3 option) are biotin, caffeine, argan oil, castor oil, and saw palmetto. All of which combine to actively fight hair loss in individuals. Compared to the other products, the castor oil in this shampoo fights hair loss. It safely works on all hair types, including color-treated hair. This is the most cost-effective product on the list. Consider pairing this with a conditioner to avoid the unwanted effect of a dryer scalp.
Pure Biology Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo
- BEST HAIR GROWTH BLEND – Packed with natural extracts, amino acids, Biotin, Keratin and Rosemary...
- BREAKTHROUGH COMPLEXES – Amino Kera NPNF Keratin complex penetrates deep to strengthen and...
- DHT BLOCKER – Saw Palmetto and Green Tea are essential to preventing dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to...
Pure Biology’s product combines stem cell-derived ingredients. They stimulate cells and follicles to grow hair. It also include saw palmetto, green tea (caffeine), biotin, keratin, and other amino acids and natural extracts.
This paraben-free, non-GMO blend is made within the United States. It’s been proven to reduce hair loss by 21 percent within just 21 days. It’s a quality stimulator and shampoo to implement into your routine, retailing at a reasonable price.
HairGenesis Activating Shampoo
Developed by Geno Marcovici, Ph.D, this product claims to be the first botanical remedy for hair loss.
It has a collection of the essential components present in the oral formulation. They have been presented to block DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) from binding to the follicles of the hair.
This damaging DHT can be eliminated before it can lead to hair damage.
Revivogen Bio-Cleansing Shampoo
This shampoo is a medicated, all-natural product.
This consists of scientifically supported ingredients (Saw Palmetto, Zinc, Vitamin B6, Azelaic acid ALA, and GLA) that help prevent DHT production. It’s binding to the follicles of hair.
Revivogen Bio-Cleansing Shampoo cleanses the scalp, controls scalp irritation, and removes DHT and Sebum. It also gives a refreshing and cooling effect on the scalp.
Phyto Phytovolume Volumizing Shampoo
Phyto Phytovolume Volumizing Shampoo helps reduce temporary hair thinning due to seasonal changes, medication, pregnancy, fatigue, and stress.
The shampoo is designed to treat hair loss problems in women. Its distinctive combination of botanical ingredients enhances the hair thickness and luster.
Cinchona bark and gingko biloba induce microcirculation. It invigorates the scalp while grapeseed procyanidins protect the hair bulb and fight free radicals.
With each use, the hair will become more abundant and fuller.
Nioxin System 4
The Nioxin System 4 is a 4-part system specially created for normal, fine, thin-looking, or chemically treated hair.
It amplifies the texture of the hair while giving colored hair moisture balance. It also refreshes the scalp.
The product works as a cleanser. It helps get rid of environmental residues and fatty acids from the hair and scalp.
It also removes sebum that can clog the follicle.
Nioxin System 3 consists of botanicals and antioxidants that help to give a rejuvenated scalp environment.
Although hair regrowth is not guaranteed with this product, Nioxin System 3 for most consumers has enhanced their overall hair quality and health.
It can be tricky choosing the best shampoo for your hair loss and hair growth needs. Just like any investment, companies make outlandish and hardly believable claims that may not actually be backed by merit. It will take patience, trial-and-error, and a little bit of diligence on your part. But, you’re equipped with knowledge. This knowledge can help you choose the best shampoo for your scalp. In the end, your head will truly thank you!
Let us know below what you think about our list and hair loss shampoos. Leave a comment and we will respond as soon as we can.
Tired of chasing down hair growth solutions without the results you’re after? Make sure you’re using the 3 hair loss products known to work before experimenting with alternative solutions. You may be surprised with how effective those 3 alone can be.