Throughout years of hair loss research, there’s been many “solutions” to balding. Some of these products have been more credible than others (based on anecdotal experience, reviews, and peer reviewed research). Instead of chasing down alternative solutions, below are 3 products that you need to be using if you aren’t already.
While these 3 products aren’t necessarily the only ones you want to have in your arsenal, they are considered essential among hair loss communities. Many people experiencing hair loss who try these out will experience some sort of hair growth over the first 3 months of use – the amount varying both on genetics and environmental factors. Additionally, these solutions work for both men and women.
#1. Minoxidil (aka Rogaine)
Why use it? Studies done by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery have shown that, in a trial out of 669 people, about 14% of the men experienced results within the first two months of using it. Around 52% reported effects during the second month, and 34% during the third month.
- 3-month supply of Men's Rogaine 5% Minoxidil Foam hair growth treatment to help treat hair loss,...
- Formulated with 5% Minoxidil, our fast-working hair regrowth treatment works to boost hair follicle...
- Men's hair growth treatment also contains botanical extracts and emollient to help maintain a...
How to use it? Minoxidil is applied directly on scalp 1-2 times a day.
- Clinically Visible Results in as Little as 12 Weekscheck
- FDA Approvedcheck
- No Prescription Requiredcheck
- Must Be Consistent With Usageclose
- Works Better on Some Than Othersclose
Why use it? Folexin is a supplement that uses well researched, all natural ingredients, that work together to help your hair grow thicker and fuller. A lot of these ingredients have been shown to greatly help with hair loss. Some of these include:
- Support for thick, strong, healthy hair.
- Support for your hair’s natural growth process.
- High-quality ingredients, third party tested.
While technically not a hair loss product, Folexin plays a major role in supporting thick, strong, and healthy hair. When used with minoxidil it aids in the growth of new hairs. It’s crucial for the new hairs to be as strong and healthy as possible in order for them to keep (before falling out). In combination of Minoxidil, some users have reported significant improvement in not just prolonging the amount of hair they currently have, but in growth of new hair where hair was once seen.
How to use it? Two tablets to be taken on a daily basis.
- Supports Thick, Strong, Healthy Haircheck
- All Natural Ingredientscheck
- FDA Registered Facilitycheck
- Must Be Used With Other Hair Loss Productsclose
- Often on Backorder Due to Demandclose
- Results Can Take 60-90 Daysclose
Where to learn more and purchase it? You can read our full review on Folexin here
Why use it? Ketoconazole is an anti-fungal shampoo. In the UK it has been licensed to be used to help treat dandruff. However, it can be prescribed off-label to treat male pattern baldness.
Revita High-Performance Hair Stimulating Shampoo
- Supports both healthy and compromised hair follicles
- Fights Follicular Dysfunction from First Application
- Improves hair density, thickness, and appearance
- Promotes scalp stimulation
- Cuts down on stress-induced loss
In 1998 a study was done that compared the effects of Minoxidil (also known as Rogaine) to Ketoconazole for male pattern baldness. The researchers in the study found that both the proportion of hair follicles and density of hair in the growth phase (anagen phase) improved nearly similarly. This is to say, both Ketoconazole and Minoxidil saw similar hair growth effects and helped treat male pattern baldness.
4 years later, a study from 2002,found that Ketoconazole 2% shampoo effectively help inhibit the product of DHT. DHT is the male sex hormone that is primarily responsible for male pattern baldness.
A more recent study on mice demonstrated that Ketoconazole had a significant stimulatory effect on hair growth compared to a control group.
How to use it? You will want to use it 2-3 times a week when showering.
- Research Backed Resultscheck
- Inhibits DHT Productioncheck
- Only Need to Use 2-4x a Weekcheck
- Not as Effective as Minoxidil Aloneclose
- Not Many Brandsclose
Where to learn more and purchase it? While you can find Ketoconazole in a few different shampoo brands, our personal recommendation is Revita’s High Performance Hair-Stimulating Shampoo (and our full guide on it can be found here). Be sure to check out our buying guide on hair loss shampoos to get a better idea on why Revita was ranked #1.
There are many effective ways to help treat hair loss. While we highly encourage experimenting with different treatments to see what works best for your hair growth, Minoxidil, Folexin, and Ketoconazole Shampoo need to be part of your daily and weekly routines.
These 3 products compliment each other when it comes to hair growth, and utilizing all three together will help maximize your results.
If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below. Happy balding!